Household Hazardous Waste Day
The Town of Acton holds a Hazardous Waste Day twice a year and offers residents a safe and legal way of disposing of hazardous materials. For more information on hazardous waste disposal or Hazardous Waste Day, please contact the Health Department at 978-929-6632.
When: Saturday, June 25, 2022 from 9:00 AM-11:30 and
Tuesday, September 20, 2022 from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Location: DPW Garage at 14 Forest Road
Note: These collection services are for Acton residents only and proof of residency will be required.
This year there will be extra precautions in place due to COVID-19:
- All residents must stay in their vehicles at all times. Clean Harbors has a policy that anyone who attempts to exit their vehicle will be asked to leave.
- Waste accepted from truck bed, trunk of car, or back hatch of SUV. Materials will not be accepted from seats or when handed from residents.
- Clean Harbors will not be returning any containers (gas containers, storage totes, etc.). Please plan accordingly.
- If possible, make one trip to Household Hazardous Waste Day.
See our Household Hazardous Waste Day Flyer for more information.
Items No Longer Accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Day
Motor oil, Fluorescent light bulbs, Televisions, CRT's, Medications and Sharps will no longer be accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Day. Acton residents can recycle these items at the Acton Transfer Station during normal business hours with a Recycling Sticker. (see cost below*)
How to Dispose of Some Common Items:
Certain smoke detectors contain a radioactive sensing device, but the radioactivity is so low that it is considered harmless. Remove battery and dispose of smoke detector in the trash.
This can be disposed of as trash only if dry. To dry small amounts, remove lid and let the paint dry in the can. For larger amounts, you can purchase paint hardener that immediately dries paint, or pour one-inch layers of paint in a cardboard box lined with a plastic bag. Stir the paint occasionally to speed drying. Put completely dried paint in the trash. Latex paint will NOT be accepted at Hazardous Waste Day.
- Alkaline batteries: Domestically manufactured batteries made after 1994 no longer contain mercury and can be disposed of in the trash.
- Nickel-Cadmium Rechargeable Batteries, Button Batteries and Lithium Batteries: DO NOT dispose of in the trash. Bring to the next Household Hazardous Waste Day, or to the Health Department located at Town Hall. Hours for drop off are:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Tuesday 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM
- Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
OTHER HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
- Motor oil is accepted at the Acton Transfer Station.
- Fluorescent light bulbs now accepted at the Acton Transfer Station in the light blue shed during normal operating hours (see website for hours).
- Televisions and CRT’s are accepted at the Transfer Station during normal operating hours (see website for hours). There will be a $25 charge per unit and is payable at the entrance to the Transfer Station by cash or check payable to the “Town of Acton.” This fee will help cover the cost for disposal of these items.
- *Acton Transfer Station Sticker or Recycling only sticker is required. Cost for a recycling only sticker is $15 annually ($10 for seniors 65+)*