Vital Records (Marriage, Birth, Death)

Marriage Certificates

Marriage records are available for records dating from 1735 to the present. Marriage records for couples who filed their marriage intention in the Town of Acton are the only copies that can be obtained.


Birth Certificates

Birth records are public records except when the parents are not married at the time of the child’s birth. In such cases, photo ID must be provided to the Town Clerk and only individuals listed on the certificate can obtain the birth record. Records of birth are retained in the City or Town that the child was born in and / or where the parents were residing at the time of birth. 


Death Certificates

Death records are available for records dating from 1735 to the present. The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for original records of all deaths that have occurred in Acton as well as records for Acton residents who died elsewhere in Massachusetts.


How Do I Obtain a Copy?


The fee for all vital records is $10 per certified copy. You can submit a request online, through the mail, or in person. Since the Town only maintains certain records, and some of the records have restricted access, please call (978) 929-6620 or email prior to submitting any request. 
 Request & Pay Online:

Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates may now be requested and paid for online through City Hall Systems. A convenience fee of $0.50 for eCheck and 2.95% (min $1.00) for credit/debit is charged for using this service.
 Mail Request:

Complete the request form or send a note listing the name(s) and date of occurrence on the certificate you are seeking. Include a check or money order, payable to "Town of Acton," and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Address request to:

          Town Clerk

          472 Main Street

          Acton, MA 01720
 Pick Up in Person:
Walk-in requests are also accepted and must be paid for with cash or check. You can fill out the request form ahead of time, or be given a blank form to fill out when you arrive. Requests can normally be fulfilled while you wait, but please call or email prior to confirm.


Other Resources

The Massachusetts State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics can also provide certificates for Acton or any other Massachusetts community. Follow the link to their website for more information or call (617) 740-2600.

 Certifications and Apostilles:

A state certification is sometimes necessary for documents which will be used for government and legal business outside the United States. A certification or legalization is generally necessary for documents which leave the United States. Common types of documents which require certification for acceptance into a foreign country include documents for an international adoption, diplomas issued by an American college or university and various types of records and contracts integral to a company which does business in a foreign country.