How do we apply for a marriage license?
You must both apply in person for a marriage license. This requirement is applicable to both residents and non-residents of the Commonwealth. According to Massachusetts law, you must jointly file intentions to marry, and you may do so with the city or town clerk in any community of the state. A marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date intentions are filed and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. It is not valid outside of the state.

Show All Answers

1. How do we apply for a marriage license?
2. What do I need to bring with me in order to apply for a marriage license?
3. What if I do not have a Social Security Number?
4. What happens if I do not get married within the 60 day time period?
5. If my fiancé is active duty military do we both still need to apply in person?
6. If my fiancé is incarcerated do both parties need to apply in person?
7. Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?
8. May we marry before the three days for good reason?
9. How do we obtain a waiver?
10. What is the cost of a marriage license?
11. At what age may a man or a woman marry?
12. What if one or both of us has been divorced?
13. Is there any special requirement for a widow or widower who is remarrying?
14. Do we need any witnesses present at the ceremony?
15. What are the responsibilities of the member of the clergy or justice of the peace?
16. Where can I obtain a list of Justices of the Peace?
17. What if I want a friend or family member to officiate my marriage but they are not a member of the clergy or a justice of the peace?
18. What should be done if an out-of-state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage?