The most effective way to protect you and your family is to prevent mosquito bites. It takes only one bite from an infected mosquito to get EEE. Protections that you and your family can take are:
- Know that peak biting hours are from dusk to dawn
- When outdoors, wear long sleeve shirts and pants
- According to the Mass.gov website noted below, use insect repellent with DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide), permethrin, picaridin (KBR 3023), IR3535 (3-[N-butyl-N-acetyl]-aminopropionic acid) or oil of lemon eucalyptus [p-Menthane 3, 8-diol (PMD)] according to the instructions given on the product label. DEET products should not be used on infants under two months of age and should be used in concentrations of 30% or less on older children. Oil of lemon eucalyptus should not be used on children under three years of age.
- Repair holes in screens or doors
- Remove standing water from your home
Acton is also part of the Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project who conducts the mosquito control program for us. Please contact them directly for information on services that they provide, including spraying and tire collection service. They can be reached at 508-393-3055 or cmmcp.org
For more information, please contact the Acton Health Department at 978-929-6632 or click on the above link.